Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Getting up earlier

One of the main problems that I've always found previously is that regardless of the number of good ideas I might have, I'd never have to time to implement any of these ideas. After all, there's the full time job, a wife and child to see in the evening, my favourite TV shows to watch....and the list goes on. As part of the goals I put together at the start of this journey, I decided that I needed to start achieving more of my goals around my job, and that the best way to achieve this was to start getting up earlier in the morning.

Previously, I used to get out of bed for about 7:45am and be out of the house by 8:10am, giving me just enough time to wash and dress myself and my son, get my things together and leave the house. I decided that I needed to give myself more morning time. I had tried this before - setting earlier alarms, asking my wife to wake me (she leaves for work at about 6:30am), and trying numerous other unsuccessful attempts at becoming an early riser. Why should this time be any different?

I found that it was different. By giving myself a reason to get out of bed, I found myself easily responding to my alarm clock and waking early. This focus on improvement in my life made the process of waking early much easier, ensuring that I achieved this small goal. Initially my goal was literally just to achieve the ability to get out of bed earlier, but I have progressed to being able to work on other projects in the morning now, as well as showering, eating breakfast, and generally relaxing more before I leave the house.

In addition, the positive attitude which I have adopted of late have helped in this area too. Whereas I would see the morning as a negative event whereby I needed to get into work, I am now able to appreciate the time I have before I need to leave the house. This has provided me with a massive change in my energy levels both in the morning and throughout the day.

On the other hand, I'm finding that i don't need to get to bed much earlier to sustain this early rising. I am now in the habit of going to bed when I feel like the time is right and I'm sufficiently tired, all of which are providing an excellent balance for me overall.

To summarise, my ability to be an early riser has been born out of the following techniques:

  • Set a time to wake up and stick to it

  • Focus on the goals and achievements that getting up early helps you work towards

  • Ensure some relaxation in the morning after waking

  • Go to bed in the evening when it feels the right time for you - don't set your bed time by a routine, a TV program or another person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home