Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Using Blog Services.....

In spite of reading that I shold avoid doing so, I decided to use a free blogging service to start this blog. Blogger have kindly provided the storage, the URL, the template and so on for me, and I've got somewhere to instantly post my blog posts. This seems like the perfect situation surely? As a naive new blogger, I certainly thought so.

However, I'm approximately 2 weeks into this blog, and have learnt the error in my ways already. I don't have the level of control that I require over this blog (which I was warned about by Steve Pavlina in an article he wrote about blogging). I have a few things I'd like to try out with my blog, but can't really achieve with a Blogger blog. Plus, I've been reading quite a bit about blog architecture, and it is quite obvious that the blog architecture used by Blogger is not going to support what I want to do with this blog in the future.

Then something very important struck me - when I started this blog, the intention was always to host it on Blogger temporarily and then pay for some hosting. If I do that now, I'll need to let the few people that have linked to my site know that it's moved. But let's say I move it in 6 months time, by which there will be (hopefully) many more visitors and links to the site. I would effectively have to start building my traffic figures all over again - not a good idea if, like me, you hope that your blog will generate some income in the future too.

Host it now!



There are a number of excellent options available for hosting a blog - one of the best that I've seen is the recommended option on WordPress which is reasonably priced hosting option which also includes an installation of WordPress as a part of your hosted service, saving you the trouble of having to set up and configure the software. More details can be found here.

So if you are just starting a blog, and either want it to generate an income or want to host it separately at any point in the future, make the effort to do it now, before you waste any of your time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home